Do you have a problem with addiction? Do you smoke? Are you addicted to drugs, alcohol or gambling? Do you have a hard time controlling yourself with food or putting down your smart phone? I found a great podcast that may just help.
It’s #61 of the 10% Happier Podcast with Dan Harris. In this episode, Dan talks to Dr. Judson Brewer, a neuroscientist and psychiatrist who specializes in addiction. It is very interesting and includes some great tools. You can listen to this podcast on iTunes or see below for info on getting it in Google Play.
I learned about:
- The addictive loops around food, technology, and even romantic love.
- The four noble truths that center around craving.
- Numerous studies about meditation and mindfulness with people addicted to cocaine, alcohol, and cigarettes.
- One study that to be proved twice as effective as the gold standard of smoking cessation. After four months it was 5 times better!
- How to use mindfulness to deal with cravings.
- Dr. Brewer’s two great apps Craving to Quit and Eat Right Now (both are available on iTunes and Google Play)
- How the mind mistakes excitement for happiness.
- How to cultivate curiosity in meditation and the importance of it in your practice.
- My new favorite focus/mantra in meditation “Let your senses rip.”
The 10% Happier Podcast is based off of Dan Harris’ book 10% Happier; How I Tamed the Voice In My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, And Found Self-Help That Actually Works -A True Story
I listened to the book on audible and I really enjoyed it. Click on the books on this blog to add them to your Goodreads list. For more information see the What is Goodreads? page. If you are curious about meditation and/or enjoy a good memoir, then it’s a good pick.
Dan Harris, the host of the show, is also a correspondent for ABC News. He’s an anchor on both Nightline and the weekend edition of Good Morning America. He’s a great interviewer with a wonderful sense of humor and is passionate about the subject of meditation, but I love how he lets his skepticisms shine through.
On Monday, I’ll be back with a great feel good song to brighten your spirits. Until then, let your senses rip!
Thanks for visiting. Please subscribe on the bottom of the page if you’d like an email when I post. Comments are like gold to a blogger and shares are like diamonds. A growing blog makes a blogger happy. New here? Check out my About page to see what this blog is all about and to learn more about me. Click to follow me on FACEBOOK. Click to follow me on TWITTER.
All the best,
Question of the day: Do you meditate? Why or why not?